Thursday, June 9, 2011

Small Birthday Cake

It's even crooked!
So, it's the little guy's birthday and there are only three of us and there's a party in two days for which I'm already baking cupcakes. I'm no baker, but I know you're not just supposed to half a baked good recipe and call it a day, so I set out in search of a recipe for a small cake. I found this one. Again, I'm no baker, but I started out to make this and had a heart attack. 1 1/2 sticks of butter?? 1 cup sugar?? The full size cake I made for MDH last month didn't have that much butter and just had that much sugar. But, there I was with the oven preheating and so I did what I always do when I disagree with a recipe and adjusted it as I saw fit. Remember, I'm no baker, so I was a bit terrified.

The result was really quite tasty. The crumb was a little dense, but it was delicious. I can't really figure out how I screwed up the icing. It should have just been a simple buttercream, but it turned out too thin. That part I know how to fix. The weird thing was that it was also a bit gritty. I don't know how something becomes gritty with butter, milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla.

Thoughts? Save me from the internet research - What did I do to my frosting that would make it gritty? Do you have a recipe for a small cake? Have you seen an uglier cake?

Small Birthday Cake
1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
approximately 1/3 cup milk
Butter and flower two 1 quart round Pyrex baking dishes. In a small mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add sugar and mix until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time (At this point, I needed to stop and scrape down the side of the bowls) until well incorporated. Add vanilla. Add the flour mixture slowly (don't be like me - turn down the speed on the mixer before you start). Once I had the flour incorporated, my batter looked more like a dough, so I started adding milk a little bit at a time until your batter looks battery (yeah, battery. What else would I call it?). Split batter between the containers and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Check with a toothpick. Let cool for five minutes in the baking dishes and then remove and let the cakes cool on a cooling rack before icing.

2 comments:

ahr023 said...

Whenever I need a small cake I just use whichever cake recipe I like and bake off the remaining batter in another pan. I use pretty standard cake recipes and I have never had a problem. Then once the extra cake is completely cooled I wrap in a few layers of plastic wrap and freeze. Then when the mood for a trifle type dessert or strawberry shortcake strikes I am set.
As for your buttercream, was the butter completely softened and did you sift your 10x?

Jessica said...

That's a good idea, but I'm pretty sure I'd somehow just eat all of the frozen cake the next week! I have zero self control. So sad.
The butter was completely softened, but I didn't sift the sugar. I never have before... I hate sifting, but I'll give it a go for the batch I have to make tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas!