Saturday, June 25, 2011

Barley with Veggies

This was just something I threw together to serve the dual purpose of being lunch and cleaning out the fridge a little, but it ended up being really tasty. I normally don't like any application where feta cheese becomes warm, so I'm not sure why I put it in, but it definitely worked.


Barley with Veggies
3 tblsp olive oil
2 tblsp sliced onion
1 clove chopped garlic
1 zucchini, sliced into half moons
1 small bunch spinach, chopped
1/4 tsp fresh basil
crushed red pepper
3/4 cup leftover pearl barley
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
salt
Heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, and zucchini. Cook until zucchini begins to get tender. Add spinach, basil, and red pepper (to taste) and cook until spinach is wilted. Add barley and cook until warmed through. Remove from heat and add feta and salt to taste. 

2 comments:

Jie said...

Jessica, I really like your blog. I already checked out some of your vegetarian recipes. You have a new follower!

I also wanted to share the fried rice recipe with you. Like you, I do not measure the ingredients (except when baking). I am sure a seasoned cook like yourself will be able to exercise good judgement over the measurements.

1. Cook rice and set aside. Most varieties of rice should work. I like Japanese sweet rice or Basmati rice, two very different varieties. The key is to cook the rice a bit dry.

2. Scramble eggs and set aside.

3. In a large frying pan (or wok), cook chopped ginger, garlic, leek, and green onion in vegetable oil over medium / high heat and uncovered, until contents turn golden brown.

4. Add cooked rice and eggs to the frying pan. Add salt. Mix ingredients well. Cook in medium heat and uncovered, until the flavors blend in.

Drizzle sesame oil and sesame seeds and serve.

Options: As I mentioned, this recipe really came from Mark Bittman of NYTimes. In his original version, instead of scrambled eggs, an almost raw egg is placed on each plate and blended with the cooked rice. This is what I do when cooking the dish for Sri and myself. But not everyone likes raw eggs :) Another option is to add some vegetables of your choice. Almost anything goes. My favorite is mushroom. Green peas are very popular too.

Hope you enjoy making the dish!
Jie

Jessica said...

Thank you Jie! I can't wait to try out the recipe.