Sunday, February 7, 2010

Pancakes

Drat! I ran out of pancake mix on a snow day forcing me to find another recipe for homemade pancakes. Honestly, I know it's not in fitting with all the other stuff I insist on making from scratch, but I prefer the mix (Trader Joe's Multigrain Pancake Mix ROCKS). You know why? Because every recipe I've tried for making them from scratch seems to involve me beating eggs until my arm falls off or includes way too many ingredients for my liking. So, this morning, I went looking for something easy, something basic. What I found was a Food Network recipe from How to Boil Water. I made a few changes since I'm a fan of using whole wheat flour and lowering the amount of sugar in recipes whenever possible. The resulting mix was delicious and I'm thinking it might replace the box.


Whole Wheat Pancakes
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tblsp baking powder
1 tblsp brown sugar
grated fresh nutmeg (To your taste. I didn't put in nearly enough for my taste in this batch.)
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup whole milk
1 banana, mashed with a fork


Mix flours, baking powder, sugar, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix eggs and milk. Combine bowls and mix until batter forms. Add banana and mix to incorporate. You know the drill from here - cook the pancakes over medium to medium high heat until they're whatever beautiful color you like.

2 comments:

amanda said...

America's test kitchen has an amazing recipe for buttermilk pancakes (well, everything in that book is pretty darn delicious). I'll have to email it to you.

Jessica said...

Awesome! Thanks! I have a recipe for buttermilk bread I've been wanting to try too, but haven't wanted to buy a whole thing of buttermilk when I only need a cup. Another recipe would be perfect! Thanks Amanda!