Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Ham Casserole

Ahh, the snowstorms continue... Being cold and stranded makes me want to fire up the oven so I cracked open a casserole cookbook. This recipe is inspired by the Ham and Broccoli Casserole in Bake Until Bubbly. I served this with a baked potato on the side. Next time I will incorporate the potato into the casserole. It was very tasty when I got a little bit of everything on my fork at once.


Ham Casserole
1 stalk broccoli, florets and stems, cut into 1" chunks
3 carrots, sliced
3 tblsp butter
3 tblsp flour
1 heaping tblsp course ground mustard
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup shredded cheese (I used a mix of cheddar and baby swiss)
ham steak, cubed
handful breadcrumbs
Steam broccoli and carrots until al dente. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium high. Add flour and mustard and stir to combine. Let the roux cook for a minute. Add milk and stir over medium low heat until sauce thickens. Add cheese and stir until melted. In a casserole dish, mix broccoli, carrots, and ham cubes until evenly distributed. Add cheese sauce and stir to combine.Top with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. 

2 comments:

Missy said...

That sounds yummy and I'm not even a fan of ham steak.

Jessica said...

Well, good news for you - ham steak is one of the changes I made to the original recipe. The original recipe calls for laying sliced ham over the broccoli instead.