Monday, February 22, 2010

Eggs with Sugo (previously Sougle)

Okay, okay, I don't know how to spell sougle. (Note: I was corrected by someone who actually speaks Italian. Sugo=Sauce) You know what else I don't know how to do? Poach eggs. Turns out that's something you need to know to make eggs with sougle. If you also don't know how to poach eggs, you should look up instructions. That's what I'll be doing next time! Anyway, eggs with sougle always sounded gross to me when Kevin told me about it, but then his mom made it for us one day and it turns out I was totally wrong and it's really tasty. I served it with cheesy polenta, but it's also delicious with a big hunk of bread.


Eggs with Sougle
olive oil
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tblsp tomato paste mixed with half can water
basil
oregano
red pepper
Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste/water mixture, and spices to taste. Bring sauce to simmer. Poach eggs. Let sauce reduce slightly.


Cheesy Polenta
3 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 cup polenta
1 tblsp butter
1/2 cup asiago cheese
Cook polenta according to package directions - Mine called for boiling water and salt, adding polenta, and cooking for five minutes. Stir in butter and cheese.


Serve two eggs per person over polenta and topped with sauce.

3 comments:

Missy said...

I'm no good at egg poaching either, gag.

Allison Hurst Restauro said...

Mmmm. I make cheese polenta with a tomato sauce over it but the idea of adding the oozey deliciousness of a poached egg (my favorite egg by far) is great. I will try this for sure!

Jessica said...

Ooh, maybe you can teach me how to poach an egg without making a giant mess of it!